Monday, March 8, 2010

Cowtown

Did it!! Still didn't get my goal of being under 4 hours but, I did beat my first marathon time by 3 minutes. Traveled to Ft Worth on Friday, Feb 26. Actually drove through some snow flurries. I'm thinking out loud, to myself and Deb, I don't think I've ever run a race in the snow before. Got to the hotel, checked in, hooked up with Jimmy and Hollee, had dinner, then headed to the expo. Really stoked about this race. Feeling my training regiment went pretty good this time. Got to the race Saturday morning with the wind chill at 30 degrees. Met up with AJ, who was running the half. We finally made it to the start line several minutes after the gun went off. Oh yeah, there were over 22,000 people running Cowtown this year. Once we cleared a lot of the crowd, we settled into a decent pace. On target for actually beating the 4 hr goal. AJ and I split at the 8 mile mark. That's when it seemed to get very quiet. Just the full and ultra marathoners past this point. Still cruising along pretty good. Unfortunately, found out where they had been hiding all the hills over the years. Hit mile 19 and my calves started cramping on me. Had to take several breaks to stretch them out. Finally made it to the finish line at 4hrs 11 mins. Enjoyed a few free beers with my friends. Then went back to the hotel and enjoyed the pool and hot tubs with Deb and Amy. :) Another marathon down. Thinking about trying to do the 50 marathons in 50 states thing. I know, lost my mind on the run!! Little Rock Marathon relay next!!

No comments: