Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Catching Up

Wow, time has flown by with the new job. Unfortunately I haven't been keeping up on here, as well as keeping up with my Dailymile friends. Time to catch up. :)

After my biggest mileage month, in January, I came back with my lowest total since last February. No worries. Still broke 100 miles. Opened March up with the Little Rock marathon. This marked my 12th marathon. Is it a bakers dozen since my first marathon was an ultra? Gotta love it. Now for the race review. We had 12 Muckas show up to run different races. Four of us, (Holly, Jerry, Kevin and myself), ran the full. Sherry, Brandon, Jody, Jeff, and Greg ran the half. Allison, Sarah, and Brad ran the 10K. The day started off with good weather. We were at about 40 degrees to start. We all fought our way into the corrals and found our places. Once the gun went off, it was like speed walking for the first quarter mile. Once everything started to thin out, it started getting easier to settle in. Holly and I stayed together for the first two miles. Unfortunately, I hydrated so much, I had to make an early pit stop. Holly kept rolling. I caught back up to her by the first water station. As we made our way under the bridge, it was her turn. I kept running.

As I was running back on the bridge, over the Arkansas River, I came across a wheel chair participant. If you have never run the Little Rock marathon, there are some killer hills along the full course. The wheel chair participants were doing the full, and rocking it! Amazing!!! I'd also like to say, Little Rock has some awesome fans out there! Supportive the entire way. As I passed the 6 mile mark, I got to see Occupy Little Rock. Not to offend anyone but, I thought hippies went out back in the 60's. Oh well, press on. Shortly after passing them, I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Holly. She caught up. As we made our way through downtown and around to the Governor's mansion, the temps started to rise. Holly started to fall back. Normally, I would stay with her and try to motivate her but, I knew I was facing a rough trip up the hills myself. I wanted to push on through and try to stay under 4 hrs total. Once I passed the halfway point, I didnt see Holly anymore. I pressed on through the hills and made it the whole way, pulling ahead of the 4 hr pace group.

Around mile 18, it was a full on head wind! I had my phone with me and told Deb where I was on the course. She text back and told me Jerry was in trouble around mile 21. Asthma attack! I started looking for him but, at mile 20, I had to take a walk break because the winds were killing me! Oh yeah, just before that, I unofficially met Marathon Maniac, Dave Mari and his big Afro wig! Funny guy! At mile 23, I saw Kevin heading the other way. High fives exchanged, we pressed on in opposite directions. By this point, the wind and 60+ temps took their toll. Walk breaks were more frequent. At mole 26, I was running in and felt another tap on my shoulder. It was Jerry. I found him!!! Ok, he found me. :) We ran in together and crossed the finish line together. That was pretty cool running in with another Mucka.

After collecting the dinner plate sized medal and making our way out of the finish line chute, I was greeted with some awesome hugs and kisses from Deb and Amy! My finish time was 4:07:09. Not my fastest but, I'll gladly take it considering the conditions. Waited for Holly and Kevin to finish. Holly crossed with her Daughter, Bailey. Kevin beat the 5 1/2 hr mark. Even with his pit stop to have a few beers around mile 25. Great race by everyone. Tough course, tough conditions. Will do it again!

No comments: