Monday, April 23, 2012

WOW!

The weather is sure having a hrad time making up its mind. Not that I'm complaining or anything. I am really enjoying these cooler temps. However, issues at work have really cramped my running lately. But, that's what I signed up for when I went into Law Enforcement. Fortunately, running is one of my stress relievers. After the longest days of dealing with some of the worst people in society, I can rely on a run to take my mind off of it. Not to mention, I have a great home life to help remove the stressors.

One thing that really helps is getting in some good quality runs with Deb. She joins me on early morning runs, before I go to work. She joins me on mid-day runs when we want to sleep in. When her running partner doesn't make it to our group runs, we team up and enjoy a great run together. How awesome is that to have a spouse who enjoys and shares your healthy habits. I'm pretty lucky in that aspect. :)

I think, with everything going on, my priorities are starting to change. I had a goal of running a certain amount of marathons within a certain time frame. I always seem to have goals of beating my fastest time, never really taking in the whole marathon experience. After running Little Rock, I saw some fellow Marathon Maniacs just runnning and enjoying their race. They weren't concerned about their time. They just enjoyed the race from start to finish. After completing 12 marathons, I think the competitive part of me is subsiding. The fun part is starting to take over. I want to enjoy these races. Take full advantage of what each one has to offer. Being one of the original Muckas Running Club founders, and putting on our own race, I think the fact of putting on an enjoyable race is huge!!

I guess what I am trying to say is, I think I'm slowing down and finally going to try and take it all in. There are so many people out there just running to have fun. I think it is time to be one of those people. Deb has shown me what it is like to get out there and enjoy it. Even though she says she's not competitive. Wink Wink!! She has shown me how to just enjoy the run. To get lost in the sounds and sights. Our morning runs are greeted with birds waking to the rising sun and singing all along our route. It has taught me to watch where I run because running in the dark sometimes prevents you from seeing the skunk crossing the road in front of you. Close encoutners of the almost stinkiest kind. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't worry what people think. Enjoy the run. It's good for you. :)

No comments: