Sunday, August 7, 2011

Another 1000 Miles

Another 1000 miles in the record books. I think this is the fastest I have ever hit that mark in a year. I am also on track to break the 6000 mile mark, since Jan 2007, before the end of the year. This has been one up and down year. Through the rough times, I have been very fortunate to have my wife by my side. She has helped me through one of the toughest times I have ever faced. That being the loss of my Mother. I was also lucky enough to have my friends and family there to help me through it as well.

One thing that helps with most of my stress is my ability to get out there and run. When the stress gets to be too much, lace up those shoes and head out for a run. You can literally feel the stress melt away. I look back on how running came into my life. Back when I started, I couldn't imagine how much it would help me. It all started when a bunch of us felt like we were getting lazy and getting fat. SORT guys who no longer have a SORT team, sometimes fall off the wagon and get lazy. That was us. Getting back into the running was hard. Running two miles almost killed me. Then I was making it up to eight miles for my longest run. Ran my first race, which was a 10K. Took second in my age group. My buddy, Matt, tells me, "Let's run the half marathon at the Oklahoma City Memorial race." I asked him, "How far is that?". "13.1 miles.", he responds. Ok, brace yourself. This was my response to him, "You must be out of your f'ing mind if you think I'm running 13 miles." We both look back on this and laugh.

Like I said, almost 6000 miles later (Recorded miles that is), I can't imagine not having running in my life. And now, Deb is running with me, and getting faster. I can't imagine not having her in my life, or not having her run with me. Pretty dang awesome I think. :) Happy running everyone!

No comments: