Sunday, November 7, 2010

MidSouth Done!




It was a cold start (29 degrees) but, we couldn't have asked for better weather. I don't think the field was as large as it was last year but, we still had a good showing. Barrett and I stayed together for the first half of the race. I started having some knee pain before we hit the turn around point but, nothing major. Once we passed the turn around point for the halfers, it got pretty quiet. We passed several runners as we entered the hills of Bay Road. They weren't major hills but, they just never seemed to stop coming. And, if you're going uphill on an out and back course, you would think it would be downhill on the way back. I don't know where the downhills went but, I don't recall seeing any. Once we hit 13.1 (right around 1hr 45 minutes) we fueled up on gels and pressed on. I started slowing down a bit and Barrett stayed with me for about another mile. After that, he started pulling away. I kept him in sight for quite a while but, lost him around mile 20. At mile 21, my right calf started cramping up again. Not sure why. I was hydrated, took salt tabs and what I thought was all the right things. But, still caught a cramp. I was still making better time than I thought I would with being just under three weeks out from running Columbus, Got through the last two hills and it was all downhill from there. Crossed the finish line with 3:53:50 on my watch. I was 19 seconds slower than my PR time in Columbus. I'm happy with that. Had several folks from our Muckas Running Club running as well. Everyone did a great job.

No comments: