Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Training


I look at the training that others conduct when they prepare for an upcoming race. I also see the training others do when they are just wanting to stay fit. I compare the two and look at the results. I see and hear the comments we all make on other's workouts. Is it wrong to be envious of another's ability to accomplish more in a week than some can accomplish in a month? I say "no", it's not wrong. However, I do think, when comparing the workouts to our own, we need to look at what each individual is training for.

I know friends who run every day of the week. They are very fast when they run as well. I wish I had that dedication and fitness level to be able to do that. But, I know where my limitations are for now. With that being said, maybe that can be a goal. The only thing is, I know I need to be careful and listen to my body to help avoid injury. I train for running marathons. If I injure myself, I suffer a set back in my training and my goals. My other goal is to raise money to help fight cancer. How affective would I be if I injured myself and not be able to live up to the promise I made to those who are donating? A good friend of mine was faced with that very scenario and completed his promise with a fractured tibia. He is an amazing man, and I do not fault him for carrying on with his goal. Put in his position, I would have tried to do the same thing.

We, as runners, tend to be very passionate about our sport. It doesn't matter if you are a Boston Qualifying type runner, or someone who runs for fitness. We all do it for a reason. The group I run with, they are a competitive bunch. This is a good thing. In good, spirited competitiveness they push each other to new goals. Some have suffered injuries along the way, worked their way back to being competitive, and carried on. Others have avoided injury all together. Either way, we love what we do and we help each other.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we all carry a bit of competition in our hearts. We see how well others are doing and we try to best them. Sometimes, you have to listen to your body, take a break, and come back to fight another day. I'm sure your competition will still be there, waiting for you.

Enough rambling. Go run!! :)

No comments: